What are the risk factors of sciatica?
The risk factors are:
- Age: The common causes of sciatica are the age-related changes that occur in the spine. Ex: herniated discs, bone spurs, etc.
- Obesity: Obesity is another cause as it increases the stress on your spine. Thus, it can trigger sciatica.
- Job Nature: If your job demands you to twist the back, carry heavy objects, or drive for a long duration, this may most likely lead to sciatica but there is not much proof on this.
- Prolonged Sitting: You are more likely to develop sciatica than active people if you sit for longer hours or lead a sedentary lifestyle.
- Diabetes: Diabetes is a condition that changes the way the body uses blood sugar. It increases the risk of nerve damage and may cause sciatica too.