When should I seek professional care for Sciatica?

It can be quite difficult to diagnose Sciatica on one’s own. Hence, it is imperative to seek the help of a medical professional.

Call your doctor if you experience any of the following:

  • If the pain isn’t improving  after several days
  • If the pain seems to be getting worse
  • If you are <20 years or >55 years, and experiencing sciatica for the first time
  • If you have cancer or a history of cancer
  • If you had lost a more pounds recently
  • If you have unexplained chills and fever along with back pain
  • If you are HIV positive or using IV drugs
  • If you have trouble bending forward for over a week or two
  • If you can notice weakness is getting more pronounced over the passage of time

Go to an emergency department if you experience any of the following:

  • If the pain is unbearable, in spite of trying first aid
  • If your pain has followed a violent injury
  • If the pain is in the back of your chest
  • If you are unable to move or feel your legs or feet
  • If you have lost control of your bowels or bladder or have numbness in your genitals.
  • If you have a high temperature (>101 F).