A person will be considered to be at risk for SI joint problems if:
- She is a woman. Women have broader pelvises and greater curvature of the lumbar spine that lead to different sacroiliac joint biomechanics.
- She is pregnant. Often, pregnancy will lead to stretching of the SI ligaments.
- He/she has had lumbar spine surgery.
- He/she is smoking.
- He/she has a poor physical condition.
- He/she has a positive family history.
- He/she has occupational exposure to recurrent trauma to the sacroiliac joint.